The health of the rivers can be improved by:
* Increasing water flow in low flow periods
* Reducing bank erosion.
* Controlling sedimentation.
* Reducing human-produced effluent that reaches the rivers.
* Providing fish passage around obstacles.
* Planting appropriate streamside vegetation.
* Protecting riparian habitat by not trespassing.
Citizens can help this work along in several ways:
* Supporting the work of local watershed councils
* Volunteering to help with streamside plantings.
* Communicating with friends and neighbors about the need and opportunities to restore river and streamside areas.